Thread: engine oil
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2021, 07:42 PM   #11
Gene F

Default Re: engine oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Larry, I have spoken with several of engine oil company engineers such as Shell, Champion, and Royal Purple at some performance trade shows we attend. What I have come to believe is, it is all about how each company markets their product as to whether they feel it is a necessity. Champion and Royal Purple have a classic car oil available in a blended and pure synthetic, -and they both feel that Zinc is needed. The Shell engineers told me that Rotella Diesel Oil is fine if that is what we want to use however they would not recommend its use in a gasoline engine. (note: I do use Rootella on my own Model-As & Ts, ...and on engines I rebuild) They claim that (-insert whatever the long words are for Zinc) Zinc was removed for environmental reasons however the Shell guys said there was another couple of additives that are used instead of the Zinc and they collectively do an even better job of protecting metal wear than what the Zinc did. All three basically said that the Model-A engine likely does not have enough valve spring pressure to cause premature wear on tappets without Zinc. So I am not sure who to believe but the Zinc additive has been gone for awhile now and I have not heard of anyone with a Model-A engine claiming their engine had premature wear because Zinc was not used. It is a controversial topic though!!

I beleve Rotell T is fine too. What the enginers told you I'm sure is right. I'm using it in my new engine because my engine builder is still in my warranty period and he wants me to use it with a bottle of ZDP. I don't agree, but we will do it his way. My last engine I used Lucas hotrod oil, and 1/2 bottle of Lucas oil stabilizer. I was very happy with that.,
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote