View Single Post
Old 04-08-2020, 07:51 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Cylinder #4 Running Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
I have tried to duplicate #4 being hotter than the other cylinders--- let it idle for a hour, drove over 55 for hour, then let it idle again -- #2 got 2 degrees warmer than4-- some of the temps swapped readings, all within less than 5 degrees. I did do a real good cleaning of the block including reaming the rust out of the little hole at the back of the block and head---35 years ago, always antifreeze, most times the gav is near closed, full advance for timing--- I took readings along the sides of the block at waterjacket, below water jacket along length of head, inlet, outlet Perhaps it is because I have old style in hose thermostat. I also checked shock temperature-- hit every bump I could find, they only gained 5 degrees

I agree with this. I have never seen evidence of this either. A Model-A engine just does not run that hot under normal circumstances.

Additionally, if you think about the entire scenario, the hottest part of the entire cylinder is the chamber roof of the cylinder head. Heat also rises. The #4 port should not be running any hotter unless the exhaust is restricted somewhere which is not allowing for the spent exhaust gasses to evacuate. That is why I don't subscribe to it being an issue with the cylinder block or piston clearance.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote