View Single Post
Old 02-19-2020, 10:24 PM   #30
koates

Default Re: Basic trouble shooting 32 generator

Jim, if I were you I would just fit that generator onto your car and see if it charges or not. Seeing that you have little experience with generators then I would not try and mix and match parts from the two generators. Testing a generator by connecting it across a battery to motor it IS NOT a conclusive test to know if it will charge correctly if driven. I know what others have posted but I have worked on these things for nearly 60 years and am only trying to pass along what is correct and what is not correct. Make sure the cut out is fitted the right way around. With engine revved up a little the ammeter should show about 6 amps charge which is high enough. That equates to about 10 amps output from the generator allowing for about 4 amps current draw from the ignition coil. If it charges more than 6 amps on the ammeter then the third brush setting is too high and will have to be knocked back. Don't have the generator belt too tight otherwise it places too much load on the generator bearing and end bush. Good luck, Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote