View Single Post
Old 10-23-2019, 05:48 PM   #51
GOSFAST

Default Re: Cam Degreeing/Checking Important

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Given my expeience with the Cloyes adjustable SBC timing cover, I think if/when I built another 8BA I will make an adustable "button" with a bearing in it - that way I can get exactly the end-play/backlash that I want and with the engine running (or on the dyno), I can actually adjust it if needed. I was VERY happy to have that timing cover on the SBC - it saved me from having to screw around with a cover that only allows pre-adjustment/setup of the backlash - not after it has actually ran a bit.
Hi Dale, do yourself a great favor and get away from using cam buttons at all, all-in-all they are a "headache" to setup (time-consuming) and just more "moving" parts in the unit (this is assuming you use the roller buttons like we use to)!

P.S. If you have time here's a method we actually devised over here to eliminate the buttons in the early SBC's, we set them up like the later OEM roller units with the stepped-nose cams and the thrust plates. We've actually sold dozens of the installation kits so far, containing ALL the necessary tooling/components to set up the early blocks with the stepped-nose cams, mostly to other machine shops. No more "adjusting/measuring/shimming", put the cam in, bolt on the thrust plate, throw on the timing chain, and you've got your .003"/.004" end play! If you have time follow this link here, the entire story is over on the Chevelle site! Makes no difference anymore which timing cover you use!! We've built "dozens" already with our method.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/18-...t=postusername (It's the second "sticky" down)
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote