View Single Post
Old 02-25-2020, 07:29 PM   #12
CabrioletDon

Default Re: Front Frame Crossmember

Hi, Pete...
I'm in the early stages of replacing the front cross member on my '30 Cabriolet, and it does require a lot of work to put in a new one. I am restoring my car, so I didn't have lots of stuff completed, but I've spent a lot of time basically stripping my car back to a bare frame, tomorrow I will hopefully begin engine/transmission removal and pulling the front wheels and tires, brakes, front axle and wishbone. Once everything is off, labeled and stored, I'll start on drilling out the remaining rivets. Unfortunately, I have no choice as a previous owner installed a 28-29 cross member in my mid-30 frame, and it was causing all sorts of issues as I was fitting body components. I will also have to deal with rivet holes that have been mis-drilled or hogged out, so I will have a bunch of measuring, welding and repairing to get the holes restored before I get to the riveting process, which is quite a job in itself. After purchasing what I was told was a '30 cross member, I've now found that what I bought was a 28-29, so I ended up spending quite a bit for a NOS cross member on eBay to at least get control over one part of the process. I'm not detailing this stuff to keep you from replacing the front cross member if that's what you ultimately want to do--but if your existing cross member could be saved by a professional welder and a new piece of 1/8" steel, it would certainly be less work and expense than replacing--that's my view, and take it for what it's worth (which is probably not much)! Regards!
CabrioletDon is offline   Reply With Quote