View Single Post
Old 07-28-2019, 12:15 PM   #3
alt63bird

Default Re: original paint y blocks

I have to find the file I've been compiling on engine colors, but if memory serves me correctly the green/turquoise/aqua color may have been used on '55 and maybe '56 Merc engines (I don't remember what CID), and there's a good chance that green color can be traced back to Merc flatheads from '52-'53, but again I need to find my research for a more-definitive answer. The same - or a similar - aqua/green color was also used on industrial engines and on '58 Ford 332s. The "red" you're looking for is more-correctly known as "Vermillion" and IIRC goes back to the early 1950s for usage.

The Y-block.com chart leaves a lot to be desired since it doesn't list Ford's M-numbers for colors to track what specific ones were used. In fact, it doesn't acknowledge the fact that from '59 through '65 Ford's gas engine long blocks for cars were painted semi-gloss black, with exception of some long blocks being painted aluminum for sale in Canada from '63-'65 as part of a tariff ID program. ID of the engines was done by the color of the air cleaner and valve covers during this period. Ford Corporate Blue was used company-wide for the entire engine assembly starting in Model Year 1966.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
35+ year member, Crown Victoria Ass'n.
alt63bird is offline   Reply With Quote