View Single Post
Old 09-20-2019, 04:12 PM   #15
Tom Endy

Default Re: flywheel housing shims? late production diamond block.

As mentioned above the purpose of the two shims is to compensate for the thickness of the gasket located at the lower portion of the clutch housing where the other four mounting bolts are located.

The two shims as provided by most suppliers are .010 thick. However the gasket thickness is less than that and the actual thickness is all over the map depending on the supplier.

My theory is that the gasket should be thicker than the shims as it will crush down when the bolts are torqued, the shims will not. For this reason I purchased a roll of gasket material from NAPA that is .015 thick and made my own clutch housing gaskets.

Another thing to consider if you are going to check housing alignment with a dial indictor gauge, it should be done with all six bolts evenly torqued. This becomes difficult because generally when this is done the top two bolts at the ears are not installed because they also hold the accelerator mechanism, and the mounting bolts are too long to be installed without the mechanism. For this reason I have a set of shorter bolts I use.

Attached is a document that describes clutch housing alignment.

Tom Endy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Clutch Housing Alignment.pdf (17.3 KB, 33 views)
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote