View Single Post
Old 09-22-2019, 09:20 AM   #1
bdtutton

Default Did you restore the car yourself?

Hello,
I have a 1930 Tudor and one of the questions I regularly get is "Did you restore the car yourself?". My answer is "No, I purchased it restored, but I did some modifications and have done some major work on it to keep it functioning as a daily driver." They always seem disappointed that I can't tell a story about dragging the car out of the woods where it had been abandoned 50 years ago and then spending years to get it going again. I once restored a 1950 Chevy 5 window truck that I paid $50 for and dragged out of a field....it is hard.

I may not have done a ground up restoration on my model A, but I have done interior work, electrical work, mechanical work, engine work (Just finished replacing the valves and adding an oil filter.), replaced tires (Just put some new 19" tubed radial whitewalls on the rims myself.), rebuilt the vacuum wiper motor...etc...etc.. It is a daily driver so I am rebuilding the car one piece at a time to keep it on the road, but I did not restore it from scratch....

So here is my question....I have been telling people that "I bought it restored, but I maintain and repair it myself." If they don't know about old cars being used as a daily driver they picture me driving through the quick lube shop a couple of times a year like they do with their new car. What one sentence phrase can you use to let people know that these cars take 20 times more maintenance than modern cars and when there is a problem you can't take it to your local mechanic or car dealer?
bdtutton is offline   Reply With Quote