Thread: 1937 No start
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011, 04:52 PM   #10
nemw001

Default Re: 1937 No start

Thanks all - here is an update - I should have included this with initial post - but I didnt want to have too big a post - I had already removed plugs and watched valaves for proper operation, none were hanging up, so I ran a compression test and all were within 77 - 100 ish psi and thus i figured were OK. I had allready gone to VanPelts as they did the distributor re-build, wires are all as they should be with regard to firing order. I moved timing off of initial setting one notch at a time and had someone crank to see if it would start - it did not - I maxed out both ends and set it back were it was when I got it back. I pump the dickens out of it and it still will only backfire and not even give a hint of wanting to start and run. The carburetor is a Ford 94, even with enrichening it while cranking will only backfire. As I said earlier I ohm checked wires, and even checked to be sure none were grounding out to the metal conduit and none were. I took the caps off and inspected the two halves and they looked normal to me, but this is my first foray into this particular model and with the ohm readings I think thats not the problem, however I've been working on cars for 35 years and nothing would surprise me. The kicker is if it were carburetor related would'nt enrichening it overcome the power valve issue mentioned above? It has been my finding that up to a 1/2" play in timing gears/ chain is acceptable, does anyone know if thats the case with this 37 ? Again, thank you all very much for the information, ya just never know what piece will solve the puzzle -==
nemw001 is offline   Reply With Quote