Thread: Babbitt
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2019, 10:52 AM   #7
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: Babbitt

If my memory is correct have read here an advantage of poured Babbitt over Inserts is the thickness of the Babbitt. Inserts only have a thin layer of Babbitt when compared to the original poured Babbitt bearings.

Inserts are OK until something goes wrong, they wear through quickly to the underlying material, and can damage the crank. Poured Babbitt gives you more warning, and is much more forgiving since it is thicker. You should also be very vigilant about not lugging the engine with Inserts, they are less forgiving to lugging.

One disadvantage of poured Babbitt is that it takes high skills/knowledge to do properly when compared to inserts. When done properly many consider poured Babbitt to be a better choice to Inserts.

Many recommend converting an A to a pressurized/filtered oil system when using Inserts.

If you do a search here in the A forum on Babbitt and Inserts, you will find tons of info/opinions.

I am unsure about the ZDDP info, hopefully others can answer, I know it has been discussed, perhaps do a search here.

Others please correct me if I misunderstand.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote