View Single Post
Old 01-05-2019, 08:15 AM   #10
James Rogers

Default Re: Fort Wayne clutch claims setting is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Coupe View Post
I did have the flywheel resurfaced and they refaced the mounting surface also to maintain the 1 1/8" depth. I sent a NOS Genuine Ford to Fort Wayne that was .340 thick which is what they said they use for a gauge. They argue that it is set to where all their Model A pressure plate fingers are set and it is over the Ford clutch book instructions by almost 1/2 ".They say the Ford instructions are wrong and their setup instructions on the "card" they use are correct. Their setting takes away almost 1/2" of travel of clutch bearing but they maintain that they are giving it more so I am done arguing with them and I will set it up myself when they return as I sent it back to them. They claim that I am the first Model A owner to complain about this setting that they have sold thousands of,well now I know why so many Model A transmissions are grinding gears.The cluch is not disengaged enough. I only wanted my set right by them so I did not have to mess with unstaking and restacking lock nuts.I'll use Loctite.
Ever wonder why there is an adjustment on the pedal? I have never seen a clutch assembly that didn't need any adjustment when installed new. Just part of the deal.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote