View Single Post
Old 10-31-2019, 09:15 PM   #19
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: Evolution of installing cylinder heads

Hey guys - not trying to be flippant with your money (or mine) . . . the only point was that we tend to worry about saving money on the wrong things. Not only in life, but in our flathead work. I know, a grand statement . . . but one I've had to come to terms with myself over the years. And - I'm not young - I hate to admit it, but I'm an "older guy".

Now I know I'm preaching here, but how many times have we seen folks (ourselves included) go 95% of the way through a difficult and time consuming job - spending a lot of money along the way - and then decide to scrimp/save at the very end? I've done this many times! It is almost like I was upset about the 95% of the money I'd already spent (probably 2X what I thought), only to NOT spend the last 5% wisely. I'm not trying to spend anybody's money here -- nor claim to have riches and lack of empathy. The only point is that we tend to worry about the costs that are the least significant at times . . . versus the costs/ramifications if we had not.

I used to worry about costs of things like gasket sealers, assembly lube, oils, etc . . . when if I'd really thought about it, these are the last places I should be worried about spending a few percent more. I'd already spent the big money and spent the big time - so I try to buy the best products I can - and they cost so very little in the grand scheme of these dang car builds.

Also, one hard lesson in life and business that I've learned is that I tend to not value my time enough. If I spend $20 more to save hours of time . . . if that worth it? Maybe - or maybe not - but at my 'young' age, seems that my time is the most valuable thing I don't have enough of.

Okay, enough out of me . . .
B&S
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote