View Single Post
Old 10-14-2019, 03:09 PM   #19
Emmit51

Default Re: 1936 Ford flathead - is a fuel additive required

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Why not make your own ethanol-free gas? Take a translucent five gallon plastic square container, add four gallons ethanol gas and one gallon water, and mix. Turn upside down and let it settle. The water will absorb the ethanol and settle to the bottom. Then simply drain off the water/ethanol mix, and what is left is pure, ethanol-free gas.

I found this very interesting, and noticed there are a few guides online for doing this as well.

Problem is, I'm doubtful this would actually be useful. Sure if you add enough water to ethanol-gas, you will form a separate layer that is mostly water with ethanol, and draining this off would likely remove a good amount of ethanol from the gas. Problem is that since the ethanol also dissolves in gas, some will remain in the gas, and it will also dissolve water into the gas. This is basically the problem with old gas, water absorbs into the gas due to the presence of ethanol.

So, you can remove some ethanol, but will also add water into the gas. No disrespect intended to 40Deluxe, but I wouldn't do this.
Emmit51 is offline   Reply With Quote