View Single Post
Old 10-14-2019, 12:24 AM   #7
ford38v8

Default Re: 1936 Ford flathead - is a fuel additive required

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbtenner View Post
I’m curious what others will say... I use 87 unleaded normally and 89 on rare occasions if 87 is not available. They say you have a cleaner burn the higher the octane and is more efficient. Maybe for newer cars that require the premium but not for me.

Ethanol free gas is the way to go for these cars since ethanol will break down over time and gum out and attack certain gaskets.

Then I use a lead substitute by adding 18mL per gallon of gas. Lead substitute acts like a stabilizer for gas by the way just don’t use it on modern cars. =P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have several comments for you, take it or leave it:

87 is fine, you got that right.

Higher octane cleaner burn more efficient? Higher octane may be more efficient for a high compression engine, as it burns slower, producing a continuous burn throughout the power stroke, preventing knock. For a low compression engine like the flathead, the knock won't happen unless your timing is way out of spec. As for cleaner burn, that would be related more to the oxygenation rather than the octane.

Ethanol free is certainly preferred for our old cars for the reasons you stated, but curiously, ethanol raises the octane, and will also help prevent carbonization in the cylinders.

Now, lead substitute... Lead was used to raise the octane, as it interferes with combustion, slowing down the burn. Coincidentally, it was found to help cushion valve seats as well. Stabilize fuel? I never heard that. And you're right, don't use it in modern cars, not that it would hurt the engine, but it burns up those expensive catalytic converters!

And by the way, if you have grandchildren, they are the reason lead was banned all over the place. It took us car guys a long time to relate to lead poisoning our little ones, but I for one don't want to put my great grandson in danger so I can drive a collector car.