View Single Post
Old 11-02-2018, 10:30 AM   #75
Cape Codder

Default Re: Terriable backfiring

Just an update on my problem. As I had said we opted to pull the head. We bought the head puller from Brattons but to be truthful, I was disappointed in its operation. The #7 bolt which works with the puller was not as accessible as to other three to get a wrench on. The wrench was hitting on the high spot of the head because of the tunnel, for a lack of a better word, that goes forward to the water pump, and also the fitting supplied that goes in the #1 spark plug hole. We, therefore, decided to pull the remaining bolts from the head, with #7 giving us considerable trouble.

After getting the head off we observed that the gasket between #3 & #4 was intact. This was the reason we removed the head as the compression check showed 48lbs. in #3 and #60 in the rest of the cylinders. We also had done a blowdown test which showed air coming from #4 and when we put air to #4 we had air coming from #3. These two tests indicated to me that the head gasket was blown.

I will check the head for straightness today and if needed take it to the machine shop and have it ground. Wonder how much is left to take off?

As always any comments would be welcome relating to this latest event!
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote