Thread: Nitrocellulose
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2021, 02:05 PM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Nitrocellulose

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edzaha View Post
I know this is going to start a firestorm but I'll ask anyway. I really want to paint my Vikki with Nitro lacquer. I am going to go with Brewster Green Medium as lower body color. Would any one know where I could get some. About 10 years ago I bought 4 gals (it was their min) from Hirsch, but thanks to the government they don't carry it anymore. Any help?

A Jim said, better chance of going with Acrylic Lacquer. CP Global is another option for acrylic.

The government really did not have anything to do with it. Anyone can shoot Lacquer paint up to 50 gallons annually without a certificate. I can purchase and use up to 250 gallons of Lacquer products (-i.e.: thinners, top coats) annually. Matter of fact, some cheaper brand aerosol spray cans found in big-box stores have Lacquer as their contents.

The real reason why most Jobbers don't want to mess with carrying Lacquer is because the toners will go back and dry in the can while it is setting on the shelf waiting to be used again on the next formula. Imagine having a gallon of toner that weighs nearly 4000 grams, and to mix a gallon Brewster calls for 60 grams of Strong Yellow and 110 grams of Oxide Red with the rest made up of more popular bases. Imagine a paint jobber using 5%-10% of a full gallon toner color over a 3-4 year span ...only then they find it has hardened so it must be discarded. Not a very good ROI for them.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote