View Single Post
Old 02-01-2016, 11:06 AM   #98
GB SISSON

Default Re: Truck based woody

With a lifetime of custom woodworking as my vocation running neck and neck with a hobby (obsession) with old ford trucks it was just a natural progression. Something I just had to try. Thanks to that fateful trip to Bob Brown's 'The Sportsman Shop' in Alger Wa. 20 some odd years ago, I learned that one doesn't need state of the art tooling to do good quality work, as witnessed by his masterful wood convertibles. Many of my contemporaries in this field have huge, well equipped shops with Gigantic and complicated looking German and Swiss made woodworking machines with self feeders and LED readouts and 3 phase power. Funny, we get most of the high end work here. We have a couple of early makita chop saws, 2 table saws from yard sales (powermatic and unisaw), 1930's 6" delta joiner, a router table andthree ww2 vintage bandsaws, and a 20" taiwanese planer. Typical sanders and power planes, routers, with a drawer full of chinese bits from Grizzly. Oh and 2 really cluttered shops. Thanks for the continued support in my efforts. I'm making patterns and taking notes. I have spent more time researching, mocking up, re-doing and figuring and re-doing again than I have actually spent on constructing. Next time I will have full sized patterns, and the rear quarters will be completed and assembled on the bench, not one piece at a time stood up on the chassis!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote