View Single Post
Old 09-22-2013, 11:59 PM   #16
deucemac

Default Re: NOS Navarro heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM View Post
Thanks for the inputs, I understand each of your points and they are all well taken. Perhaps if had had supplied more info, this would be easier. I've done some additional research and found a 6 year old Navarro site on the web. He was showing 2 distinct heads, one called a high dome, the other a nostalgic model. From what I can ascertain, my heads are the nostalgic which, according to the site, are suitable for my application.
My reason for buying these was simple--my God son gave me a Navarro 3x2 earlier this year (a present) to put on one of my 40s and to have heads of the same manufacturer was just too tempting (plus I felt the price was reasonable). My cars have stock 40 flatheads with fresh rebuilds. But.....In the back corner is a 59AB which I recently removed from a terrific running 1946 firetruck that had 4,925 actual miles since new.
My engine man (John Wolf in Iowa) has built hundreds of early Fords and felt the best thing to do with the firetruck engine was not rebuild, rather run as is (resealed and checked out of course).I will clay the valves and pistons with the heads installed without nuts and check all clearances. The 3x2 with 97s will probably be setup to run on middle carb (at least initially, then jetted for progressive) A 42 crab and Fenton headers will round it out. I want to run the original cam for the time being also.
Will probably install in 40 wagon with open drive rear axle (3:50's) or run a Columbia I bought last summer on original suspension. Haven't got that far yet. Would like to run on highway, but will be mostly around town and short trips.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to bolting this together and hope there aren't to many issues. Again, thanks for the inputs and I welcome others. RPM
Beware of fire trucks because it is not the road mileage that is important, but the pump hours. A good friend bought a '41 4X4 fire truck from the Alpine, Ca fire department with only 9K miles on it and the engine was shot! And the Hobbs meter read LOTS of hours. He then learned that fire trucks rarely go anywhere far but will stand for hours with the pump running and the go 3 or 4 miles back to the fire house. Since then I've noticed old fire truck with just that situation.
deucemac is offline   Reply With Quote