View Single Post
Old 09-03-2021, 09:15 PM   #1
Ramjet47

Default 50 psi oil pressure gauge

Can oil pressure above 50 psi (actual) damage a 1937 original 50 psi oil pressure gauge and sender system? Or does the sender contact points cycle open and close on reaching 50 psi?
I have been running on a direct reading pressure oil gauge since fitting the reconditioned engine. Yesterday I fitted a serviceable original oil pressure gauge to the instrument cluster and a new Bob Drake 50psi sender. I am cautious about running this original, secondary, oil pressure indication system without knowing the original gauge and sender high pressure safe guards.
My engine is a reconditioned 1937 221”. I am using a direct reading oil pressure gauge and Penrite 20W60 engine oil. On initial start up the oil pressure can go as high as 100psi and quickly returns to 40- 60 psi depending on high idle rpm. Our local outside air temp ranges from say 15-36c. On the road, with the engine 90c and running at the at 55 mph the oil pressure is 25 psi dropping to 8 psi at hot idle when stationary at stop lights.
Ramjet47 is offline   Reply With Quote