View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 01:39 PM   #15
DICK SPADARO

Default Re: U-Joint Prepacking

Browsing the V8 forum I saw a post that was directed to the Model A section regarding U-joint lubrication. Sorry if I flip out on this post but it is about the craziest thing I have seen on this site.

This still seams to be a misunderstood part of the car because there have been numerous posts in the V8 section about proper u-joint lubrication. I assumed that the Model A guys had pretty much covered this topic and know that The u-joint is not greased in a conventional way and the grease fitting nipple is actually a nipple for a liquid lube gun. Properly lubed the u-joint requires a liquid lubricant, Ford called it "soda grease" which for various unknown reasons appears to be a slurry of used engine oil and powdered sulfur. This is a heavy liquid that best replicated with the 600W gear lube being marked by vendors today, others have had good luck using another low speed liquid lube John Deere tractor "corn head grease" . In any case the picture posted is the best example of the improper lubrication of a u-joint. The u-joint is liquid splash lubed and the liquid also provides the lubricant to the speedometer drive gear and the upper drive shaft roller bearing. Greases are not noted to be a flowing substance until the temperature escalates to a point where they have a degree viscosity. Usually to generate heat you need friction and if there is friction involved there is a lack of lubrication. This would mean that the u-joint was run dry and generated heat to cause the grease to flow, by that time the damage is started.

Clean out all that grease, make sure that you have a new torque tube driveshaft seal installed, a good set of clam shell gaskets and refill your u-joint with about 3-4oz. of 600W lube or similar and you should be good to go. This method will splash lube the u-joint in a constant bath of lubricant and perpetuate the u-joint life.