View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 11:35 AM   #14
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: U-Joint Prepacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
With original bearing style it would move into the trans, lube the speedo cable, if you installed the "sealed" type of bearing it will find the path of least resistance --and get hot

A wheel bearing that is filled with grease can overheat, I have seen seals pushed out, grease on the brakes, heat marks on the bearings ---the hub was full, but the heat drained the grease from the bearing, but with the original type seals on the A (none)it would probably just push the excess out.

When I was installing the new spindle bearings on my crankshaft grinder it specified 4 grams per bearing --and some limited time no load run in.
Kurt, I read your comment regarding this subject last week when I was on vacation in Florida and so traveling the 600 miles home I got to thinking about your statement again and what troubles me about that comment is this. How many "small-wheeled" trailers are out there that have
those Bearing Buddies on the hubs that actually pack the bearings full plus fill the cavity around the axle shaft where it is completely full of grease?

My experiences has been that these wheels/hubs generally spin very fast due to the small wheel size which should create severe overheating by their nature. I am also thinking that many of these wheel bearings would be "filled with grease" completely from inner to outer bearing when using that Bearing Buddy yet they do not seemingly overheat, --so what is the difference or what am I missing?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote