View Single Post
Old 08-02-2019, 07:58 AM   #7
Dave in MN

Default Re: Reproduction wheels

The new wheels are pretty durable and they spin pretty true. I have used a set of 6 new wheels for about 80,000 miles. The wheels I purchased were only out for about a year when I purchased them so they were early in the production of them. I don't know if they have made any changes in the manufacturing process since I purchased mine. I did have two crack at the center hub area just like the originals often do. I attribute the cracks to a near accident when a driver missed a stop sign. To avoid a collision, I made a direction change while locking up the brakes which resulted in a sideways slide. Both wheels on the forward side of the car during the slide developed cracks. I discovered one right away and sent it back to the vendor and they promptly replaced it at no charge. The second one was less obvious and took another 2 years to become very visible. I contacted the vendor about the second one and they would have taken it back (after 4 years) but I never did return it. Why...The wheels were powder coated and after re-powder coating the first replacement wheel, I did not have enough powder to complete the second. It is in one of two spare positions on my Phaeton and I have never needed it. If I did, the crack is not that bad and would serve to get me home.
I would purchase them again if I needed a set.
Good Day!
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote