Thread: rumble seat
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2018, 03:50 PM   #14
SSsssteamer

Default Re: rumble seat

[QUOTE=CHuDWah;1658180]..... I've never heard of a rumble seat passenger being injured in a wreck but it certainly seems possible. ...........
When I was a kid living in Oak Harbor, WA, our neighbor's son was killed when his dad, Lyle Muzzall, collided in a curve with an oncoming car that was driving on the wrong side of the road. The rumble seat lid fatally slammed his kid in the back of the neck. My 1939 Ford convertible coupe took a hit to the body work one night when I let a drunk try out sitting in the rumble seat. He was stepping from the top fender mounted step to the rumble seat when he lost his balance and his knee put a, 1 1/2 inch deep dent into my convertible's body. It didn't do his knee any good either.
The rumble seat lid opening is very difficult to load and unload groceries out of. The trunk lid was made just for that purpose.
I sold our 1928 A rumble seated roadster mostly because its rumble seat didn't fit our needs anymore.
So if you are still "thinking of converting your trunk into a rumble seat", I wish you the best.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote