View Single Post
Old 05-25-2020, 07:06 AM   #6
GOSFAST

Default Re: Eagle 4" 8BA Crank?

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
Original crankshafts made by Ford are superior in quality to any scat or eagle crankshaft made in china. Typical job shops that use off shore chinese parts are not a place I would spend my money or use there choice of parts as guide to what quality truly is. A good merc crankshaft including grinding would cost at the most what a cheap quality import crankshaft is going to cost.
Ronnieroadster
Hi Ron, the problem using only OEM Merc cranks is there aren't enough "decent" ones around to meet the demand and the work (labor) to make certain a shaft is usable normally outweighs the price of an aftermarket piece.

I'll give you an example of the general procedure here for "prepping" an OEM 4.000" crank. First it gets magged, then the 4 clean-out holes get drilled and tapped (3/8" NPT), and next (generally) gets turned to an undersize.

By the time you purchase a used Merc crank (we get an average $300.00 for a "mint" Merc shaft) and then do all the above labor it's a no-brainer to go with a new off-shore piece! Plus you have the option of using the 2.000" rod journals w/o any add'l machining!

In short, you pay $200.00/$300.00 for the OEM piece, you mag it, drill/tap the plugs, machine it to whatever u/s and usually find it'll cost more than new! We get $525.00/$550.00 for the Eagles (depending on any shipping we see) and also now have the choice of the strokes!

We are able to balance most Eagle Flathead cranks with a bob-weight between 1500 & 1550 grams in under 1 hour! Also never had to "fill" a single one so far to get it balanced!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. The above info is looking at it from a business standpoint, we move enough Eagle shafts to keep a good inventory on hand, and we save the incoming frgt by buying in numbers! We now avoid ALL Scat shafts here any longer, had too many issues getting them balanced w/o adding some heavy-metal. This is based not only on the Flathead ones but on the Chev's as well!
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote