View Single Post
Old 06-23-2014, 01:49 PM   #27
H. L. Chauvin

Default Re: Air filter for Model A

Hi TDO,

For your question: "Has any one used this Air filter on there model A . That's on E-Bay for $67.80. And what is your opinion of it."

FWIW, Just one (1) Humble Opinion:

1. I bought one of these Hi-Boys directly from the manufacturer several years ago on E-bay with a attachments for an A & a B carburetor.

2. I next bought a slightly taller K&N filter from K&N to insure maximum air passage which meant it can be cleaned less often.

3. To answer your question, I have had no problems at all:

A. If one knows how to tighten a hose clamp with a screw driver, it stays in place & fixed when hitting bumps & crossing railroad tracks.

B. If one knows how to read a tachometer, one can verify that the engine runs at the same RPM'S with the filter or without it.

C. If one knows how to accurately calculate MPG's, the mileage is the same with or without it.

D. If one knows how to read black sooty plugs, the plugs stay the same color with & without this filter with an original A or B Zenith carburetor.

4. The key to "any" filter, whether it be an air-conditioner filter or a carburetor filter, is to insure that it has been designed with a large enough intake area such that it can allow sufficient air passage.

5. Many air filters formerly offered were so small & restricted that they were like burying one's head in a pillow & trying to breath enough air to run a 20 mile marathon race; hence, in my opinion, a new Model A Religion was formed & still exists today, like: "Get rid of the pillow."

6. As parochial as this may seem, on the other hand, just think for a moment:

A. John Doe goes to the bank & borrows an enormous wad of money to buy a fleet of 20, brand new taxi's.

B. The taxi's arrive, & the next day & John's maintenance mechanic, (who owns several Model A's), tells John he just saved John lots of money over the next 5 years -- rather than having to pay for 20 new replacement air filters every now & then, he removed all 20 new air filters & placed them in the garbage.

C. John's wife, a mechanical engineer, with a Master's Degree, who works for K & N in the technical testing laboratory, fires the mechanic.

D. Now, was it because she did not like the type of shoes the mechanic was wearing? .... or did she not like his color of socks?

E. Hmmmmmmm ...I think it could possibly be because of an ancient vintage Model A Religion: He told her his next move was to try changing to non-detergent oil; then draining the "Prestone" out of all of the radiators & substituting pure water; & next, getting rid of all of the whitewall tires.

F. I am sure others definitely have different opinions on air filters "today"; and/or why she fired him -- respect them all -- in America, the "last" choice is always for you to decide what to do -- & it is your $67.80.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 06-23-2014 at 02:31 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote