Thread: Awwe Crap!
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2016, 08:19 PM   #237
Capt Kirk

Default Re: Awwe Crap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkwrench View Post
I set my preload with the spin in vice technique, no problems. You will soon get a 'feel' for how good your bearings are too. I had one NOS bearing that I felt wasn't quite right when I assembled it you could feel straight away , it was binding and was hard to 'break' the resistance..
Talkwrench, I'm comfortable where I have my preload set and did the spin test and got a bit over a turn out of it. It's certainly better than the free-wheel that it was when I took it apart. There's no binding and there was an initial "break" required but that stands to reason. The question is inch-pounds, foot-pounds or pounds and what those numbers are...the answer to which makes a huge difference to the setting. I'm leaving mine at about 10 inch-pounds on mated bearings and will either have success or will have to spend some money for a bad decision. I'm not a bearing expert but feel that if a bearing is too tight it excludes the oil/grease that lubes and cools and the bearing will overheat and eat itself up. Too loose, it will allow misalignment of the gears which will also eat themselves up. My pinion was free wheeling but there was zero slop in any of it and the bearings and gears were great. I hope I didn't make a good situation worse by adding preload to a diff that has been happy for 76 years.
Empty wallet
Capt Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote