View Single Post
Old 02-28-2021, 02:07 PM   #9
tomcarman

Default Re: Old Ford truck at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 truck View Post
That picture would have been taken around Preston Washington in about 1936. The loggers would chop the trees down standing on spring boards several feet off the ground. Whip saws where then used to cut to length. This photo is my father and grandfather falling a big one.
That fits the description of location. Some of the biggest trees in the world grow in that zone, namely Spruce, Douglas fir and Cedar. When I was in High school Dad had a rattle trap '59 Ford shortbed pickup I used to pile a bunch of friends in and go out in the Willapa hills near that area to fish in the fresh mountain streams. There are still many stumps left with springboard holes that are quite literally large enough to park a car on. The tree pictured appears to be DF. Note the difference in the bark vs the one on the log truck. As far as the old '59 Ford it always brought us home. Until my brother got his license. "Dad, we were out fishing and I swerved to avoid a deer and ran into a tree. The grill is caved in and the radiator broke". Dad went out to get it and not surprisingly noticed all the donut marks on the logging road. He towed it home, took the radiator out, threw a chain around the grill and hooked it to the car and pulled the grill out. Put a new radiator in and we were good to go. I'd forgotten that but I bet my brother hasn't! LOL
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote