View Single Post
Old 01-23-2020, 09:31 PM   #1
35fordtn

Default Distributor rebuild with pictures and video

For craps and giggles I decided to do a quick post on how I perform a distributor rebuild as this has been a topic on here a lot, and I had a few to do tonight and thought I’d document one of them. I’m not used to photographing my work and certainly have never videotaped such so excuse the extreme amateurism of it all. Fair warning this will be loooooong.

Attach is the distributor as received it was disassembled as far as it will go, checked etc. this one needed both bushings replaced. It’s been reported on here how big of a task it is to remove the upper bushing. With a 7/16-14 tap you can remove it in less that twenty seconds (see photo). After disassembly they are put in my automatic hot aqueous parts washer that is usually used for engine and transmission work to remove the built up tar, grease and oil. Then everything except the breaker plate, weights, and rotor are placed in a automatic tumble blaster. A normal person would not need this equipment as purchasing both would be over $12k new. I use them as they are automatic and I can move on to other aspects of the project thus saving time for me and less billable hours for the customer. After this process with little hands in everything is clean and dirt free.

FYI check the point posts on the breaker plate for wear, and check the weight springs. The weight springs can be bent to manipulate the advance curve (something I commonly do)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by 35fordtn; 01-23-2020 at 09:50 PM.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote