View Single Post
Old 10-01-2019, 07:06 AM   #21
Forddan

Default Re: Every 500 Miles!??

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R. View Post
I rebuilt a Willys engine years ago that had never had any oil in it but the cheapest non detergent 30W that the little country store sold. It was the cleanest engine inside I had ever disassembled. There was NO sludge or build up anywhere in that engine.

Well, nice to hear this. I am the second owner of a fully out off body restoration. Including the engine and all mechanics. Who sold me the car told me all what he was using for lub, gas additive (MMO), oil engine and Differential/transmission

For the engine he was using ND 30W. The restoration was done 14 years ago and the engine had 9500 miles when I got the car on January this year.

All these months I have read threads like this one. Also I had people telling me to use detergent oil, others , do not change to detergent oil because it will free sludge because you never used it before, etc etc.

Finally i decided to keep it with ND 30W because my son, that works in a Firestone Service shop told me, as others, "keep the ND 30W because it was used for the last 9500 miles of the engine.

Then I was able to talk with the first owner who did the full restoration, including engine. He told me that the shop that did the engine suggested to go with ND 30W and do the oil change every 500 miles. And he did that.

I am not yet retired and I never was a mechanic kind off guy. I do not have the time, to do the oil change during the week, less the lub job. Weekends are always packed. So I take the car and the oil bottles to a mechanic shop nearby (they do not have ND 30W in stock). I paid $70 for the oil change including the 500 miles lub per Ford chart last month.

At the start of the season they changed oil, did the full lub job, changed transmission and differential oil, plus break calibration and wheels gears packing, for $180.

Last edited by Forddan; 10-01-2019 at 07:18 AM.
Forddan is offline   Reply With Quote