View Single Post
Old 08-12-2017, 07:20 PM   #1
guyatou

Default A window into a rusty head

My radiator is being recored, and while it's out I decided it was time to clear the block of rust so I don't plug up the new core.

I'm out of metal, so I used a piece of acrylic to seal off the water pump hole while the Evaporust coolant cleaner does its job. I bought a concentrate that's diluted with about 1.25 gallons of water in this case, but it would make up to 3 gallons.

It's kind of nice to be able to see inside while it's working. Before adding the chemical, I flushed the system with a garden hose.

For those who may want to try this in the future, I used a 1-1/2" rubber cap to block off the inlet (the kind you might use on a sewer line), and a 1-1/2" test plug on the outlet at the top (as seen below). I used some Permatex on the acrylic, but not enough since it leaked a little when the outlet was open to the air. Plugging the outlet stopped the leak.

This particular test plug can also be drilled out, and a garden hose threaded on to flush the system afterward. So convenient!

I'll let it sit about 2-3 days with the rust remover in there and update the photos. Also adding a temperature gauge and a new fan while it's all apart. I've heard a lot of horror stories of old fans losing their blades through the hood or radiator. Didn't want to take that chance!

1930 Model A Coupe
1976 BMW R90/6

1968 Datsun Roadster
Insta: @downesphoto
guyatou is offline   Reply With Quote