View Single Post
Old 08-12-2017, 06:58 PM   #5
RawhideKid
BANNED

Default Re: Removing Ignition Cable from Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by revliw View Post
I need to remove my distributor to unscrew my armored ignition cable from the Distributor. Will I need to retime the engine when I re-install the Distributor?
Thank you for any input.
Absolutely NOT. Since the distributor shaft has a slot that is off center, you can remove and replace it at will with nothing to worry about, even if you crank the motor over to do a compression check. The distributor can ONLY go in one way and as long as you do nothing to the internal parts of the distributor, the timing will remain the same.

Now, just an FYI, IF you decide to change the points while you have the distributor out, You can do this as long as you set the points to .020 gap and have only a small change in the timing. Remember, the timing is controlled by the placement of the CAM on the distributor shaft. You will NOT be able to change the points if you have the original style points as you must remove the cam first to get the upper plate off, but if you have the modern upper plate and points that screw on from the top, change points at will.
RawhideKid is offline   Reply With Quote