View Single Post
Old 04-07-2021, 02:03 PM   #13
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Steering Box 7 tooth vs 2 Tooth vs F100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in NJ View Post
So the comments over the years for F100 vs 2 tooth after close to 20 years of peoples comments online.

When not moving the F100 is easier to steer. When moving you cant tell the difference.

Here like in most cases for the A there seems to be a difference from a rebuilt 2 tooth and a properly rebuilt 2 tooth. A properly rebuilt and properly lubricated 2 tooth does quite fine for most people. Once rebuilt it just lasts a long time.

Honestly, it takes some careful effort and access to special tools to properly rebuild either a bushing based or bearing based 2 tooth. BTW, there is nothing wrong with a well fitted bushing based sector. Some reputable shops only do the needle bearings.

I can not speak for 7 tooth.

But how do you define reputable? I have probably rebuilt a half dozen steering sectors that were converted to needle bearings and failed. I definitely would not recommend them for use by my customers.

The biggest issue is when you check the hardness of a reproduction sector, it cannot stand up to the tiny surface area that a needle bearing provides. A bushing is the preferred method of support on a slow turning shaft. More surface area to disperse the forces. This can be drawn out forever but when folks compare a worn or improperly adjusted 2-tooth steering gearbox to a modern gearbox and make claims the modern is better for touring, it really is not comparing apples-to-apples.

To comment on Ron's questions, why not just go ahead and convert the car to power steering? In the Horseless Carriage world, some are using the power steering cylinder from a Ford 2000 series tractor conversion kit, and using Chevrolet Cavalier power steering pump with a remote reservoir to power it. This allows the brass-era big cars to be driven easier by more aged drivers.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote