View Single Post
Old 08-13-2017, 06:44 AM   #24
SAJ

Default Re: Noisy metal timing gear cured by torsional damper

Thank you Dave and Bill for adding very interesting extra information and observations to this thread.
The Rattler dampers are very expensive compared with the $300 rubber dampers Murray Horne makes.
As pointed out, his pulleys may not be perfectly tuned to the two different engines I put them on, whereas the Rattlers, (which act much like dyna beads do in an unbalanced tyre), are specific only to different engine layouts. So i-4 cylinder ones, for instance will work in any vertical in line four engine without special further tuning. So the result will likely be better but at a much higher cost than a rubber damper not specifically tuned to a given flywheel and crank..
The results in my roadster and Wensum's speedster on quelling the aluminum timing gear rattle were dramatic. In my wife's Tudor which had unpleasant lower frequency "noise vibration and harshness" at about 53 mph, the improvement is also gratifying. Our 3 engines are quite different. Tudor has about 6:1 compression, welded on counterwights and a somewhat lightened flywheel with standard clutch. Roadster has heavier pressed and pinned crank bob weights, 6.5 to 1 compression and lighter flywheel with V8 clutch. Wensum's has Burlington crank and even lighter flywheel from what he told me. Plus higher compression again.
The fact that the same type of harmonic balancer pulley produces very noticeable and worthwhile improvements on these 3 very different motors is fortuitous and leads one to wonder what further improvements could result from more thought, analysis, experimentation -and money.
I hope you continue to report your experiments Dave, though I fully realise as a commercial engine rebuilder, you are entitled to retain "trade secrets" to gain commercial advantage over less diligent builders or those with less curiosity and desire to improve this 90 year old engine.
And Bill, I would be interested to hear more of your experiences and more theory. We have not talked much about viscous fluid and steel shot dampers yet. Are their other types too?
SAJ in NZ
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote