View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 08:26 PM   #10
SAJ

Default Re: Noisy metal timing gear cured by torsional damper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MN View Post
SAJ,
Are you able to take a photo of this damper installed in your car and post it here in this thread?
Thanks for reporting your results.
Good Day!
Hi Dave. I have attached photos. The roadster has rubber front engine mounts and rear float a motors. The engine sits about 10mm further forward than it should (or the chassis is 10 mm shorter at the front!) and I have not found out why. There are signs of accident damage and when I got the car the right front wishbone leg was shorter than the left one, cocking the engine to one side, so that whoever installed the rubber front mounts offset them by almost 3/4 inch to compensate for some reason. I replaced the front wishbone with an even-legged one and, now I recall, I also realigned the front chassis by about 3/4 inch too. The wishbone ball misses its socket by about 3/8 inch at the rear and forces up into it. I mention all this because you can see the distance between damper and spring U bolts is less than on the Tudor, which has about 1/2 inch. But I doubt whether one could change the fan belt on the Tudor without removing the U bolts first.
I carry synthetic linked fan belts in both cars anyway to make an emergency change easy.
A long reply to a simple question I know.
One day I will fix the roadster clearances but not until I retire probably!
Regards
SAJ in NZ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg harmonic balancer in Tudor.jpg (36.2 KB, 649 views)
File Type: jpg harmonic balancer in roadster2 (Custom).jpg (65.0 KB, 597 views)
File Type: jpg harmonic balancer in Roadster (Custom).jpg (67.5 KB, 590 views)
File Type: jpg linked belt2.jpg (68.8 KB, 592 views)
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote