Thread: Carb Issues
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2019, 12:40 PM   #12
BillCNC

Default Re: Carb Issues

Hi Farmerjohn,

Well this one needed to be rebuilt, ... it started as empty set of castings needing to be populated with every part.

Odd thing is, I can get it to idle perfectly ALMOST 80% of the time. The other 20%, it's a handful when coming to a stop. It runs very nice at 50-55 mph. Recently while doing a search of my problem I saw an old post of Bill Williams that said to dial in the GAV at 20-25 mph in second gear. Once set, I think it was 1.5 turns it ran fine until I came to a stop sign, ... the car died. Starting it again requires the GAV to be turned out to 2 turns or so.

Iv'e been reading a couple of books by Steve Pargeter today.

1) Zenith Model "A" Carburetor Restoration Guidelines
2) Model "A" Ignition Primer & Restoration Guidelines

The Ignition book's cover say's "90% of all carburetor problems are electrical" so I guess that is also something to consider. But for the GAV?

Perhaps, taking the carb apart and cleaning it, checking that nothing is stuck in an orifice or the passageway's and checking my float level might do it. Or perhaps checking the electrical might be in order. I not completely sure if electrical could be the problem if I'm only having issues with the GAV settings. But then again, ... this is still new to me, ... almost 2 years in the hobby.

Heck, I'm still trying to figure out how the average person took care of these Swiss Watches of a car compared to a modern car, only to be armed with minimal tools and knowledge at best.

Regards
Bill
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote