View Single Post
Old 09-20-2019, 08:52 AM   #7
rotorwrench

Default Re: '28 sport coupe, would you or not?

The tops are decent enough if well cared for. I hope the car has all the original top hard parts like landau bar pieces and that. A lot of them have reproduction items that aren't correct. The upper belt molding that goes around the bottom edge of the top is like gold if it's the original two piece item. There used to be a fellow that fabricated them but the fit looked a bit off on the ones I've seen. I tried to get one from him anyway but he had stopped production.

If the body was restored correctly, the doors will be just like any other coupe model. The trunk or rumble compartment lid should be no problem if it was well fit and restored. The 1928 models had some different materials for the top than were available later but most folks just bought the kits for a restoration so the top material is limited and not particularly correct for any of the cars. LeBaron Bonney used good materials from a wear and tear standpoint. Since they are out of business, I'm not sure what would be available for any future upgrades if ever needed. Card board is used around the sides of the top to hold the shape and it can deteriorate over time if not so well kept. Care has to be taken when cleaning the top too. I think this was the main reason they fell out of favor with buyers over time. They are more difficult to take care of than some.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 09-20-2019 at 08:59 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote