Thread: Tires
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2017, 02:25 AM   #9
fordcragar

Default Re: Tires

Last summer I was driving my daughters 36 Chev PU in eastern Washington when there was an explosion that happened at about 70 MPH. When I got the truck stopped I thought something happened to the trailer that I was towing.

What happened is that a steel belt let go. When I got the truck stopped, there was about a 14 inch chunk of steel belted radial flapping and hitting the fender. I ended up driving it with this chunk flapping for about 2 miles at about 5 MPH on the shoulder to a rest stop. At the rest stop another street rodder and we're looking at it when another guy said that he had a hack saw; which was used to saw the chunk of tread off of the tire. With that piece gone I was able to drive the truck to our destination. I'm still amazed that the tire still had air in it and hadn't blown.

image.jpeg

The tires on the truck had been on there for about 20 years, but had good tread on them; which isn't a good indicator anymore. After I got to the campgrounds where we were going to camp, I took the tire off and went looking for another tire. I replaced both fronts and when the took the right tire off it had a bulge in it and could have gone at anytime too. Both of the tires were B.F. Goodrich Radial TA's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (37.0 KB, 36 views)
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote