View Single Post
Old 09-30-2018, 09:39 PM   #8
cas3

Default Re: generator change

i just got my whitney conversion back last month. it took 5 months, well, car is not on the road, so whatever. it cost 502 bucks delivered. its a 34. what they want is only the front mounting plate, and the rear brush plate, and a pulley, (small one preferred by them), and an original ford cut out. they make the center section from aluminum tube which is slightly larger than the original case, not much, maybe 1/8", not noticeable unless you know what to look for. this larger case houses some kinda modern alternator, which is top secrete, only to be had by a congressional inquiry, which would come back mostly redacted. we think its a small denso unit used in kubota tractors. however, the part i dont get is running a fan on the front. whitney is the only one who claims the fan will hold up, no failures to date. when i look in the front i see the alternator guts are an inch or two back from the front bearing, which is not like any alternator i've ever seen, so what are they using for an armature shaft that is that long, and fits the ford bearing and pulley? sorry i cant brag about how wonderful it is, its not running yet. but, they do have a good reputation, and i bit the bullet to try one out. my other 34 is running a 60ish 12 volt 2 brush case on a 34 armature, like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1111.jpg (70.6 KB, 45 views)
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote