View Single Post
Old 11-12-2017, 07:06 PM   #13
steve s

Default Re: Gilmore Car Museum Location

Be prepared to be amazed. The largest car museum in the country. 90 acres, 500 cars with nearly 400 on display at any time. The operations consists of the Gilmore buildings and collection per se, plus about half a dozen more-or-less permanent collections of various other national car clubs, plus miscellaneous smaller collections temporarily loaned to the museum for various special rotating displays. I'm not sure of the financial details, but I believe that typically the affiliated club finances the initial construction and provides the cars, while Gilmore handles the day-to-day maintenance and ticketing chores. This is all transparent to visitors: you pay one price to see it all. In addition, all summer long, there are special car shows hosted on the lovely grounds (e.g., Mopar, Mad Dogs & Englishmen, Model A Day, etc.) usually with special ticket pricing.

To my mind, one of the most wonderful features is that the cars are not roped off: you can just walk right up to them, although, to be sure, there are lots of DO NOT TOUCH signs.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote