View Single Post
Old 07-28-2019, 11:51 AM   #15
GOSFAST

Default Re: Oil Pan Question?

Hi Ralph, good eye!!

This pan already has some hours into it due to the customer wanting all 3 main stud straps, the front was the only real issue, the rear was minor due only to the pump/pick up.

I want to thank all that responded and expand some on why we go to the lengths we do sometimes!

One of units I'm doing is from Fla., the other from N.J. Both these customers trusted us enough to give us these builds. Joe from N.J. has dealt with us in the past, he knows what were about, different with the Fla build.

I NEVER feel comfortable sending a unit out of here when I know there MAY be a chance of an oil leak due to any parts we're using regardless of who supplied them OR if they could be modified some to work past the original design. This is what inspired me to "fix" that dipstick mounting bracket which really turned out to be one excellent modification. This is my take on that pan bottom also, seeing a potential issue later, so we will speak with Joe and any modification will be entirely his decision. So far he's been an excellent "listener".

Looking a lot closer at all these Flathead pans I'm seriously considering installing some baffling for better oil control, we'll decide more about this before I'm finished here!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. To some of the above items posted, I have no issue with the OEM drain plug, Joe did ask me to remove the rear brace, no problem. Good call also, the spot-welds were rusting through from time. To "Mac" above, good call also on the usage for the build, it's for an "old-fashioned" type street rod. With respect to the oil pickup "matching" the pan, that's a non-issue here, we would simply make our own pick-up and tube. Also Joe sent a couple gaskets for that bottom, not sure if all would be needed. If we do the modification (weld it up) it won't matter, no gaskets at all and a "normal" size drain plug, 9/16" wrench To "Ross" above, we don't want to "reduce leakage substantially", I want absolutely NO leak from that area, not even a remote chance!. Thanks again to all who responded. Here's a shot of the pan (as it still is) and the straps in place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead Main Cap Straps-Oil Pan.jpg (58.8 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by GOSFAST; 07-28-2019 at 11:51 AM. Reason: C
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote