View Single Post
Old 05-27-2020, 06:30 PM   #20
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: 1940 merc rear end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The torque tube shouldn't be much longer than that figure.

I've got to agree, which means we are now in the neighborhood of 4" LONGER than a 1940 torque tube which is 70" long. That's also about 2-ish inches longer than a '41-'48 FORD t-tube which is 71-3/4" long. I have read a couple of descriptions of these elusive Mercury t-tubes on the H.A.M.B. stating that the Mercury tubes (at least the '39-'41 Merc tubes) have some sort of a 4"-ish SPACER welded into the tubes to lengthen them to the dimension necessary. This "old Ford" mechanical and suspension stuff has always intrigued me, especially when Ford Engineering utilized SOME parts swapping and overlap usage to develop new, or updated assemblies for subsequent models. The oddball 1941 Ford suspension differences is a good example of this. Now, this Mercury torque tube/drive shaft has come back to light and I'd really like to find-out ALL the particulars on these two obviously-misunderstood parts and their reason for being different. I still feel like the extended wheelbases (although all lengthening supposedly took place in front of firewall) play SOME part in the lengthening of these torque tubes/d-shafts. So PLEASE, STILL searching for someone with a KNOWN-TO-BE '39-'41 MERCURY torque tube for some measurements and details! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote