View Single Post
Old 10-16-2019, 03:38 PM   #760
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Country Humour.

Boree creek is a small town of about 200 folks in the southern NSW region of the Riverina. It is 50 miles west of the regional centre of Wagga Wagga. The name Wagga is aboriginal for crow and Wagga Wagga is many crows. Like all small Australian towns and rural areas, and indeed throughout the world, Boree Creek and small and rural communities are strong. It is an area where I always enjoyed working, spraying and spreading fertilizer on winter cereals and spraying canola in the early spring for grubs. Farmers would always work together and pull in the same direction. The camaraderie was great.
It was some time in the late ‘80’s I was busy sowing rice and sent another crop dusting operator to spray the canola. He was John Cornish and like myself operated an Agcat. John Cornish was also known as Captain Cornflakes. He is a pleasant fellow who had a small farm growing cherries in southern Victoria. He had spent his life time working with or for farmers and had the gift of saying just what they needed to hear or wanted to hear.
I think I have digressed from my story haven’t I so I’ll return to tell it. In those days GPS wasn’t even on the horizon and strait tracking and spacing was provided to the pilot by a farmer at each end of their paddock waving a flag. On completion of the job it was practice for these farmers to return to the airstrip, which was simply a smooth paddock and join the conversation with the others. In the winter this was around a fire which was burning old fence posts. Well Short Golder returned and was asked how the job went to which he replied “ they (the grubs) will all be on their backs now with legs in the air. To which came a responce from another “I think I’ll get Cornflakes to fly past my house and drift abit through the window”.
Country folk have dry humour don’t they?
The aeroplane picture is a phony but the names and incident are not. The forth nozzle on pilots left could be blocked but more likely to be turned off to compensate for the prop wash moving the spray to the left and likewise for the eighth on right, it's difficult to see a nozzle there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg agcat spraying.jpg (39.1 KB, 8 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 10-17-2019 at 12:28 AM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote