Thread: need your help
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2019, 06:39 AM   #11
moonraker

Default Re: need your help

Yes, classic cars here are rare in general. Personally I know only two other Ford V8s - one is 1938 Standard ForDor, another is 1937 delivery truck that was converted into a prison transport. Sometimes I see classified ads for such cars but most of them in a sad shape, long since fitted with an engine and drivetrain from some Soviet car, non-original interior etc. The majority of them were brought to Soviet Union during WWII. In the beginning they drove big wigs. As they became older and started to brake down, they changed ownership to poorer owners or served more mundane purposes. I bought my car by chance. I'm restomodding '68 Fastback. A friend of mine knew about my hobby and told me that someone was selling '39 Ford V8 as an unfinished project. That time I really knew nothing about it. I looked at photos and fell in love with those teardrop headlights . I couldn't get any info about car history from the previous owner because he was permanently drunk. The car was in a sad shape with non-original engine, drivetrain and interior. Many trim pieces were missing, the body was badly repaired many times, rotten trunk floor behind the gas tank etc. PO bought a donor car in US that was complete. Soon after he decided to sell the project. I disassembled the car completely, it spent about a year in a body shop, the rest was done by myself in my garage. Luckily most parts can be bought in US, it is just a matter of time. Two biggest obstacles I faced were to find an original and working clock for the glove box door and to re-chrome windshield frame. I had to smuggle it into a Navy shipyard in St. Petersburg because all other places either didn't want to take it or wanted to charge arm and leg for the job. Now I enjoy driving it in the summer and going to occasional car shows in Russia. Twice I drove to Minsk, Bularus - about 1000 miles round trip. It always brings smiles from people around. Love it!
moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote