View Single Post
Old 04-11-2023, 10:47 AM   #10
blucar

Default Re: 59AB - Headers vs stock exhaust manifolds?

I have responded to the header vs stock manifold question many times throughout the years. I like many other people thought that exhaust noise equated to more power, hay look at me, I go fast!
In 1955 I got tired of being pulled over by the police due to the excessive noise my steel pack mufflers made. Of course one I was stopped for excessive noise the officer would find other issues to cite me for.
In 1955 I took the Douglas steel packs off of the car, replacing them with stock chambered mufflers on both sides with custom made 2" tail pipes.
The silence was golden, never received another excessive noise ticket, and the engine ran very well, I could actually hear the purr of a well built engine and the radio.
About twenty years ago I had a new exhaust system custom built for the '36, 2" pipes from the engine to the rear bumper with stock chambered mufflers.
On the idle you can hear the cam overlap in the pipes, which goes away once the RPM's are brought up.
I guess I should mention that during the early '50's I managed a performance exhaust shop in Eastern Idaho. Our bread and butter business was stock exhaust systems, mufflers and tail pipes. During the time I was involved with the business I/we installed custom exhaust systems, headers, split manifolds, etc., on just about every vehicle on the road, Buick/Packard, Chrysler Hemi's and in-lines, Chevy's even a Crosley 4 cylinder OHV engine.

Last edited by blucar; 04-12-2023 at 10:29 AM.
blucar is offline   Reply With Quote