View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013, 06:54 AM   #41
QGolden

Default Re: What is your collector car Pet Peeve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwhite View Post
I can understand know-it-all commentators and unsupervised children being a pet peeve, but to get pissed at people's ignorance is crazy IMO. Those are 'teachable moments'...opportunities to foster the love of vintage automobiles/motoring in the hearts & minds of someone else. How many times do we read posts on this and other like-minded message boards lamenting the fact that the hobby is dying, club memberships are declining, and the privilege of operating these mechanical wonders on public roadways is slowly being legislated away? Perhaps if we took seriously the well-meaning yet ignorant questions of the unwashed the state of our hobby would be different. My 2 cents.
Yup, I agree. Reply back with basic facts, give them good information. At best you might foster some interest in someone, especially a youngun. At worst, you wont be the remembered as the person who gave bad information when they find out the truth down the road. They talk because they are interested/fascinated in what you have, I have learned that people, when interested in a subject will talk about it, whether they know what they are talking about or not.

Furthermore they are actually relaying the bad information that was told to them by the last guy, hence perpetuating the very problem that is your pet peeve, lack of knowledge by the general public.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote