Thread: How much paint?
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2020, 12:00 PM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: How much paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
Anyone painted a 30-31 CCPU lately, that can give me an idea of how much paint needed for the Cab and Bed, two coats, single stage paint? Totally dismantled.

I am not trying to be disagreeable with the advice you have already received above but your question is much akin to asking 'How long does it take to catch a fish?'. I'm not sure we can give you an accurate answer with the info you gave us.

Single stage paint comes in many varieties such as enamels and urethanes. Then you break that down by which brand and the mix ratios accordingly. For example, PPG's Concept DCC line mixes 4:2:1 ...meaning you will get 7 sprayable quarters from one gallon of paint. Other brands such as Axalta (-formerly DuPont) have single stage paints where a gallon of paint is formulated at 3 quarts of paint and 1 quart of hardener which yields 4 sprayable quarts of paint. The ratio would be 3:1. This can sometimes be stretched to 4½ to 5 sprayable quarts if reducers are used however the mixture becomes more translucent or less opaque so you use more coats to achieve coverage.

Then we start comparing spray guns. The higher quality sprays guns such as the Iwata and Sata guns have the ability to atomize the paint better when it is sprayed. This allows for lower cap pressure which results in less overspray into the air and more application of paint to the surface. These guns mentioned are HVLP guns -however so is the $20.00 spray gun sold by Harbor Freight. Therefore do not be fooled into thinking just because it is HVLP that you will use less materials. FWIW, there are some older siphon guns such as the Binks #7 that will use less paint and atomize it better than some of the cheapie entry-level HVLP guns.

And finally, at first thought, a truck cab does seem small however much of the interior must also be sprayed since it is visible too. Then you did not mention whether you are painting the bed wood, ...which we all know the bed wood can be a paint sponge in itself.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote