View Single Post
Old 12-08-2019, 05:51 PM   #39
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: Conversation with a WWII Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
I toured one of those World War II Diesel Electric Submarines as well. I can’t imagine being in one of those, takes a special kind of man. I don’t think I could do it. Thank God for men like your Dad that did!
Even back then, it was a part of the Navy that was quite selective - they had various skills and personality tests in order for them to "help you" select that area of service. My Dad told a story where at the end of basic training, you were supposed to have a couple "choices" - to request which branch/area you wanted to serve in.

There were only a few guys left at this point - you might say the select few the Navy had their eyes on for Submarine service.

The DI stood in front of the guys and shouted "Boys the United States Government has a special deal going on today - all of you are lucky to qualify. The deal is if you can take a Landing Craft (LC) to shore and back three times, we will GIVE it to you and your service will be done. OR, you can go into the submarine service. Thought I'd mention, we've not given away any LCs as of yet!".

Needless to say, all those guys went into the submarine service . . . .
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote