Thread: A Matter of $$
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2019, 01:03 PM   #12
WHN

Default Re: A Matter of $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I must respectfully disagree with much of this.

To begin with, I have been around this hobby for all my life of nearly 60 years. In all 6 of those decades, the price overall for Model-As has increased over the prices found 10 years prior. The prices today reflect this same basic increase over what they were 10 years ago. Secondly, the generation that owned & drove Model-As in their youth have passed by for more than several decades now, however there have been buyers since those times for Model-As and continues to be, -so it is NOT the passing of those people that have affected sales.

The brutal reality is that most Model-As that are surfacing on the market today are absolute junk, -and the prices reflects that. From my perspective, Model-A hobbyists during the last decade or so have jumped on this excuse that they only want a driver-level car, and as such they are cobbling together stuff and choosing not to restore/repair it correctly. Therefore what they have is a pretty, well-worn used car.

In this day & time with the resources (parts, knowledge, etc.) that we have easily available to us, there should be no reason on this planet why every Model-A being driven shouldn't be able to stop quickly, start reliably, steer safely, and get you to and from your destination without ever needing to lift the hood or put a wrench on it. The issue is most Model-As that have been 'restored' over the last few decades have had poor craftsmanship along with the "it'll do" mindset on re-using worn parts, and buyers today are much more educated and know what to look at. Therefore the buyers know they are going to spend a great deal of money re-restoring the 'restored' car, therefore the sales prices reflects the true condition. A Model-A has always been, -and will continue to be a great entry-level collector car that has great appeal. The prices will always reflect that.
I agree 100%. Model A’s are great and there are many in the younger generation that love them to. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote