Thread: A Matter of $$
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2019, 11:37 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: A Matter of $$

Well to begin with, I am going to assume this is all hypothetical because there are very, -and I repeat VERY few barn-find Model-As with good wood in them. You are talking over 100 year old wood that has been dead nearly 90 years. In that scenario, it likely is dried and brittle and not very effective at doing what its intended purpose is.

Next, I would question the validity of a $18k Model-A that has a restoration that needs nothing. Most restos in the 'need nothing' category are in the $40k and up range. So with one at ½ that $ figure, I would expect you will be spending more money on the restored vehicle to make it reliable.

But to play along with your questioning, I would guess it really boils down to YOU and your resources because the correct answer to your question changes from person to person. If you are a great casual mechanic but do not own a garage to work in, then the restored project is likely a better way to go. If you are a Dad with 3 school-aged kids, I doubt you have time to work on a project, -so the restored vehicle may be your better option. If you are retired on a small but steady fixed income with plenty of tools and a good garage to work out of, and ultimately you just need a project to keep you active, maybe the barn-find is the better option.

Why don't you give more specifics like the bodystyle you are looking at comparing.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)