View Single Post
Old 06-15-2019, 06:45 AM   #17
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: In search of Stainless Steel hardware.

For those of us who were close personal friends with Roy, yes there is a large void left with his passing. For others, it really is just more of an inconvenience.

I am already setting up for manufacturing the fender and cowl welting. I have also found the machining company that was making some of the fasteners, but based on the direction I think the hobby is going, I really don't see much of a ROI. What I have found is that many of the items he sold were already being manufactured and he just knew where to obtain it. Additionally, those places typically have a 1,000 piece minimum quantity order, so the average restorer is not going to buy 1,000 bolts to get the 4 they need for their project. For Roy, he might sell 15-20 sets of those type bolts a year. To invest in the quantity of each item needed and the cash outlay would be extreme, -and unfortunately the trend is most Model-A restorers don't see the value in using a correct fastener versus just using a Tractor Supply type bolt or nut. To keep this comment on-topic, to have the correct size & shape bolt for the rear end housing was going to be about $ .25 a piece with a limited quantity run. Look at how much a consumer would have in purchasing & freight in buying a set for their project. Look at how much investment the vendor is going to have tied up in product before they are all sold. Roy was a retired guy who loved to talk, and so his cottage industry gave the opportunity to do what he liked to do. He did not do it for the money.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote